8/30/10

Beth goes home

On August 15th, the shelter I foster for had a kitten-adopt-a-thon event to try and adopt out some of the many kittens that were ready to come out of foster to find new homes. There were over 25 kittens ready to find new homes and I am happy to say that Beth was scheduled to be one of them. I was also supposed to bring 2 other foster kittens in with her, but that was not to be.

Daisy, I kitten I had for just a little while in order for her to gain weight, started showing signs of a bad form of upper respiratory infection that causes mouth ulcers. And Thin Mint, a kitten I was watching for our foster coordinator was having trouble with her lungs. Beth, however was doing well. Her eye was finally healed and she was over her upper respiratory infection. So to be safe, I sent Beth to the home of another of our foster homes who took wonderful care of her and brought her to the event for me. And I am glad to say that she found a wonderful home with a loving couple and is now happily settled into her forever home.

Here she is all grown up and ready to go!


Daisy is still with me. She is recovering and will hopefully be able to go up for adoption on Friday. Thin Mint, I am sad to say, has found her forever home at the Rainbow Bridge. A vet exam confirmed what we feared. She had a birth defect that would make it harder and harder for her to breathe as she got older and so we had to make the hard decision to euthanize her. We all wished for a different outcome for her, but at least we were able to give her five months of loving care and happiness.

The medical care that these three foster alone have recieved in the short time they have been in the shelter's care is amazing. The shelter does not give up on animals without a fight even though all their funding comes from private donations. It is because of this attitude and how much they truly care for animals that I am participating in their annual Walk for Animals.

And this year, I am making it a family event. My five year old niece Paige is our team captain and she is thrilled to be learning how to raise money for a cause she cares about. And my niece Katy who is 13 has also joined our team, along with some staff and foster people.

We are walking in honor of all the little fighters that come through our lives, both the success stories like Beth, and the sad outcomes like Thin Mint. Please consider making a donation to our team to help this wonderful shelter continue the essential work it does every day. You can make a donation to our team, or to individual team members. Thanks in advance for your generosity. Michelle.

http://support.mspca.org/site/TR/WalkforAnimals/General?team_id=11471&pg=team&fr_id=1300


No comments:

Post a Comment