3/27/09

Fostering 101

I am only on my second foster "family" but already people have been asking me questions about being a foster home for animals so I thought I would answer some of the most asked questions.

Q. What made you decide to be a foster parent?

A. I love animals, but cannot afford to keep more than the one cat I have. Vet bills can be expensive. But with the organization I work with, they provide everything. All I have to provide is a place to stay, time and love.


Q. What type of animals do you foster?

A. Mostly mother cats with kittens or kittens that are too young to be adopted. I keep them until they are old enough to be fixed and adopted out.


Q. Do you enjoy it?

A. I am only on my second foster family, but so far I LOVE it. It is very rewarding. It is fun to have kittens around and I like feeling like I am giving an animal a second chance to find a good home.


Q. Is it hard to give them up when the foster time is done?

A. Yes. I will not lie. It is very hard to give them up and I miss my first foster cats alot. It is hard to balance giving them the love and caring they need, but still keep in mind that they are not "yours". But it is so worth it when you hear that they have been adopted. I think it makes it easier for me because I adopted my cat from this shelter and I know they are very careful to be sure that their animals go to the right home, not just the first one that will take them off their hands.

Any other questions? Feel free to comment and I will try to cover them at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment