3/27/09

My First Fosters

My first fosters were a mother and her two five week old kittens. They came from an overcrowded house. The mother was named Momma at the shelter. We (my roommates and I) renamed her Marion. She was very skittish and took a long time to warm up. She did not like being around my roommates' 4 year old daughter. If it was quiet and you took the time to let her get used to you, she was very nice and sweet. When I turned her back into the shelter, I reccommended a nice quiet adult home for her.

The reason she and her kittens were placed in foster care was because the kittens were about two weeks shy of being old enough for adoption. They also had "frog legs". This meant that their back legs stuck out to the side like a frogs do instead of going straight like they are supposed to do.

The vet at the shelter said that this happens sometimes and they just needed a little time to grow out of it. So they stayed with me for a little over a month to get a little older and so that I could be sure that their legs were improving with time and not causing them any trouble. By the time they went back to the shelter their legs were straight and they were running and jumping like crazy. My roommates' daughter, Pagie, named these kittens. There was one boy and one girl so she chose Triton and Ariel. (She is a HUGE fan of the little mermaid).

Triton and Ariel were adopted almost immediately after returning to the shelter. As of last Saturday, their mother, Marion, is still waiting for a new home since she is an adult cat and does not get along well with kids, but the shelter tells me that she is so sweet, they expect her to be adopted quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment