6/14/09

And the Sisters Make Eight

As of tonight, my current feline occupancy count is at eight. I think that this might be the limit. LOL. How did I get to eight you ask? Well here is the run down:

First we have our two adult cats, Fidget and Sadie. They are our cats and we have had Sadie for a few years and Fidget for all her life. Next we have Doyle, my foster turned forever kitten that I adopted a few weeks ago. Doyle is almost 12 weeks old.

After that came "nameless cat" who is the gray kitty I am running a poll to name. He is about 8 weeks old and needs socialization. Following him are two more kittens who need socialization. They are 5 weeks old and little tiny bundles of orange fur. There is one boy and one girl. We have named the girl Darcy and the boy Julius. These kittens really need my help, but are not much fun for either my niece Paige or Doyle to play with but we were dealing with it.

I got a call from the shelter this morning to ask me if I had room for two more kittens. These kittens are also 8 weeks old and are very playful and social but they were smaller than their litter mates and do not weigh enough to be adopted out yet. They need a few days or a week, tops, to grow some more. Normally, outside of kittens season, they would just stay at the shelter for the few days they needed to grow with a note that they could not be sent home until they were the right weight. But since kitten season is fully upon us, they are quickly running out of room. When I went to get them today I could see that every single cage on the adoption floor AND in the holding area out back was full. What that means is that if they could not find someone to take these guys home for a few days, then they would have to make some tough decisions when they next got a cat that might be hard to adopt out, usually due to age.

So, although eight cats is a bit much, if taking these two home for a few days gives an older, less "kitten cute" cat a chance to find a new home, then it is worth it. Our temporary visitors are both little girls and we have named them Lulu and Arista. For those of you who read in my previous post that we were going to name one of the little orange ones Arista, we have changed our minds. Since Paige was the one who wanted to name a kitten Arista, we decided to give the name to one of the social kittens that would actually play with her. So the new arrival will be Arista and the little orange female kitten has been renamed Darcy.

And since our newest additions are not scared, I was able to get some photos right away. Here are Lulu and Arista:




No comments:

Post a Comment