8/20/09

Feeling Useless

Well it is official - my feral kittens are boys. I was pretty sure that Jordan was a boy but could not really tell with the other one because it only has part of a tail and it kept the tail tucked down all the time. But I had to take them into the shelter today because Jordan was sick, so they helped me verify that they are both boys. I am pretty set on the name Jordan for the little brown tiger kitten, but have not really decided on a name for the black and white one. Now that I know it is a boy though, I will see if I can find a name that seems to fit.

Right now I am most concerned about Jordan's health. He has an upper respiratory infection that has gotten suddenly much worse. This is a common condition for shelter cats and feral cats in particular so it is nothing that I have not dealt with before, but Jordan was doing fine last night at this time and now he is struggling to breathe normally. I had him checked out at the shelter today when I picked up his medications and he just needs time to get better. I feel so bad for him and I wish that I could do more than I already have for him, but just like a person with a head cold, he just has to get through it.

He started on the medications tonight and I have been bringing him into the bathroom and filling the room with steam in order to help clear out his sinuses and help him breathe. (This works for people with a head cold too in case you were wondering). And if he keeps going the way he is, I will probably have to give him some food with a medicine syringe tomorrow because he is too worn out to eat like he should. I have held him to comfort him as much as he will tolerate, but since he is still mostly feral, I can't cuddle him as much as I have my other fosters that got sick. I will just have to keep an eye on him and help him through this, although it is hard because there is really not much I can do that I have not already done. I know he is getting all he needs, but somehow, when I look at him miserable and all huddled up in his cage, it just does not seem to be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment